Whether you greet the New Year with a roar or with a meow, odds are that you've given more than passing thought to where your life stands now, and where you want it to lead.
But if you haven't taken a complete inventory of all aspects of your life and made a to-do list for the next year, no need to worry. We've asked an expert to suggest ways in which you can start or continue to put your house in order. After all, why let another year pass by before making changes that can improve your life right now?
A word of caution, though. As with any list of good intentions, some are easier than others. Set yourself up for success by choosing "resolutions" that are do-able for you right now and tackle them. Then pick some that you can visualize as long-term goals and work on them a bit at a time. Jot them down, tape them to your bathroom mirror, and keep them in your everyday consciousness. A year from now, take time to congratulate yourself on how much closer you are to living the life you want to live.
By Melissa Davis
- Try one new activity each month. Sit down and make a list of activities you would like to do but never before had the gumption to tackle. Just tell yourself, "If I totally flop or I don't like it, then I never have to do it again." Giving yourself an out allows you to push inhibitions to the side and enjoy a new challenge.
- Go out with girlfriends. Sometimes we get so bogged down with our day-to-day activities we forget to have fun. There's nothing like a ladies' night out every month or two-lots of laughs, plenty of meaningful talks and companionship like no other. Even if your crowd isn't the nightclub type, a nice dinner and a great movie make for a memorable evening.
- Board games are good cheap fun! What a great evening-popcorn, sodas and board games with a group of friends. Great for fellowship-and the wallet. Get a group together and rotate homes each month. Let the games begin!
- Hit the road. The weekend road trip can be refreshing and exhilarating. Each quarter, plan a trip to a destination that you can reach in five hours or less. That way, you will be able to explore and enjoy-without feeling rushed.
- Get involved. There's nothing more fun than being with others who share your interests. So, why not have good time while helping a good cause? Scan the newspaper for an organization that interests you and has a need for volunteers. Make a difference and make some friends.