Make your work easier
Do-it-yourself projects can be very satisfying, but daunting to the novice. Donna Babylon, author of More Splash than Cash Decorating Ideas, provides her favorite pointers to make your work easier.
1. Before you begin, make a list of decorating ideas you want to incorporate. Gather pictures from decorating magazines and mail-order catalogs. Note what you like and keep everything organized in a file.
2. After you have developed a plan, sleep on it. If you're patient, you'll find that your ideas just keep getting better and better.
3. Don't underestimate the amount of time it takes to do a project, including gathering all of the necessary supplies and equipment.
4. Consider your skill level. If you are new to a type of project-putting up wallpaper, for example-it will take longer until you get the hang of it (no pun intended!). If you can, solicit a partner to work with and use each other's abilities to the best advantage when planning and executing a project.
5. Before diving into a project, first brainstorm the process. By taking this step, you'll be able to anticipate potential problems and have ready solutions.
6. Use proper tools. Don't try to use makeshift tools to accomplish a specific task such as painting and wallpapering.
7. Keep all of your small tools together in a portable heavy-duty tackle or toolbox so everything you need will be within reach.
8. If you are redecorating, make your house as comfortable as possible during this process. Make it a rule to straighten up at the end of each workday. You'll appreciate the neater environment.
9. Work on one room at a time. You'll be more focused and more inclined to continue your decorating endeavors if you can see each room completed before you go on to the next one.
10. Always keep an open mind and a sense of humor when decorating your home yourself.
More on Do-it-Yourself Home Decorating